Welcome to My 'Blog

Welcome to My 'Blog

Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Big Day Tomorrow...

I'm not gonna take too long on this because I feel like my 'blogs get long(er) and boring(er) when I think too much about what I'm trying to say.  Maybe there's something to be said for just throwing stuff out there and finding out what sticks.

First, no new updates on the grandfather situation.  He's been in pretty bad shape for a long, long time and this isn't the first time we've thought the end was near.  It's hard to know how to respond in a situation like this because, on the one hand, it'd be nice to drive to Dallas and be with my family and just have some time to process everything that's going on.  On the other, if I take time off from work to go do that, I won't have it available to take off if and when I do need to be there for funeral stuff... which is kind of a morbid thought and makes me feel like a gross and awful person for talking about death and my grandfather so casually, as if it were no more important to me than whether I want my long weekend to start on a Friday or end on a Monday.  But, oh well.  I've pretty much resolved to just keep on keeping on in terms of going to work and taking care of business and I'll just rearrange whatever needs to be rearranged whenever the time comes.

Second, I'll go ahead and put forth the jist of the idea I've been mentioning for the last couple of posts.  For some reason, I've been thinking about how long it's been since I've read Jurassic Park and what a shame that is because of how great a book it is and how much I like it.  I read the entire book the whole way through in one day when I was twelve or thirteen, because it was about dinosaurs and I was totally enamored with it.  I read it again a few years ago (though not in a day) because I was smoking a lot of pot at the time and I discovered that reading was a whole new dimension of fun when your brain is all tuned in to conjure up some really elaborate mental images and I was totally enamored with it.  I've been thinking about it lately because, for some reason, I ended up reading the Wikipedia entry about it and it mentioned an aspect of the book that I never really considered before.  It characterized Ian Malcolm as being pessimistic about the park's operation, decrying it as "an unsustainable simple structure bluntly forced upon a complex system."

I probably am going to go ahead and write more about this later, since I just did two paragraphs that kinda rabbit trailed away from the "not gonna take too long" idea.  For now, I just wanted to throw the basic premise of it out there and assure you: there is an actual idea rolling around somewhere in my head and I'll get to dealing with it eventually.

Third thing, I read about a contest on a 'blog I really like where the guy will give you advice on your 'blog if you buy his new book.  I'm not sure if it'll pan out into anything or it was just a scam to try and up his sales, but... well... I'll be getting a new book in the mail in a couple of weeks.  We'll see if I get any feedback from him about it.

Last thing... I have an interview tomorrow.  It's with a real estate agency downtown and I'm pretty excited about it.  I don't know if it's gonna be a total bust or what, but it's the first company that's actually wanted to sit down and talk to me, so I'm kinda jazzed about it.  Real estate is something I'd like to get into, but I'd also like to get into a good opportunity where I can learn and grow and have greater opportunities down the line.  I don't wanna jump on the bandwagon of some kinda bum deal just because it's not Home Depot.  So I'm trying not to get my hopes up and put myself in a position where they lure me into something terrible just because I got dollar signs in my eyes.  Then again, I also don't wanna be hucking toilets forever.  We'll see how it goes.  I'll probably have plenty to write about tomorrow.

That's it for tonight.  I'm gonna get a little something to eat and head to bed so I can be up and at 'em early tomorrow.  Maybe I'll get around to the Jurassic Park idea then.  Maybe not.  In the meantime, stay classy and I'll see you on the flip-mode.

No comments:

Post a Comment