Welcome to My 'Blog

Welcome to My 'Blog

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Taking Out the Trash

I have a fairly serious problem when it comes to personal standards of cleanliness.  This is not to say I have none; far from it.  It's just a matter of ratios: my desires for tidiness and order are outweighed by my abilities to procrastinate and compromise.  For instance, I can't remember how long this cup has been sitting here, but it's empty... why bother with it?  It's not at risk for spilling and it's not gonna start growing funky stuff in it.  So who cares?  It's not like I have moldy food everywhere.  I'm not gross, I'm just disorganized.

But there's a couple of problems with this that arise almost immediately.  One is that it's just about impossible to find anything in this mess whenever I need it.  Second, it's implausible that I actually need any of it.  Cleaning is such a daunting task because there's just SO much of this crap to be dealt with... it's like I'd need a week of vacation and a snow-shovel to get rid of some of this stuff.

Take my computer, for instance.  No, not this computer.  That one.  The one that's been sitting in my living room for the better part of four months.  It doesn't work.  It hasn't since before I bought this one.  I pretty much blew my tax returns buying a new computer because I got tired of reformatting it every three weeks.  I probably could've gotten by on it for a few more months if I'd really put my mind to it, but I got tired and frustrated and used the excuse to buy a faster computer that would play newer games without lagging.  So there it sits.  Bored and lonely.  Heck, it doesn't even have a hard drive in it anymore since Bryan took it apart.  Why is it still sitting there?

I'll tell you exactly why: because it's heavy and I live on the third floor and I don't feel like taking it to the dumpster.  The same goes for the mildewy pillow that got ruined when I left my window opened and it rained.  And the bag full of shredded mail.  It's not gonna attract mice or anything, but it's certainly not keeping things clean either.

And that's just the stuff that needs to be taken to the trash, not to mention the pickle jar full of paper clips (of which I can recall using only one in the last three years) and the box full of three-foot RF cables and the stack of printer paper that's too dense for my printer.  I mean, yes, it's possible that I could one day find a use for all this stuff, but how many more times am I gonna lug it up and down three flights of stairs until I do?

Ugh... I gotta get this stuff picked up...

Maybe I'll do it tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment