Welcome to My 'Blog

Welcome to My 'Blog

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Hindsight

For the few die-hards out there who have read every post since the beginning, you know that a good portion of my 'blog has been mostly consumed by a very processing-out-loud brand of content.  I've decided to stop fuss-budgeting about whether or not this is a good thing and just accept it for what it is: an honest attempt to pour myself and my talents into something meaningful to share with others.  After getting an e-mail from Jon Acuff last week, though, I've been thinking a lot about why I have a 'blog at all and how to do it better.  I started re-reading some of my old stuff and decided to compile a quick list of things I feel like I've learned about myself along the way.

1. Talk It Out

When I first started my 'blog, a lot of the content was narcissistic and whiney.  (Truth be told, it probably still is.)  I tended to use it more like a public journal rather than trying to relate to other people at all.  Without really intending to, I feel like I've shifted away from that a bit, and I think it's largely due to my involvement in Celebrate Recovery.  Just having people in my life that I can open up to and be honest with has enabled me to off-load a lot of the burdens that I used to air out here.  It's not to say that I've stopped 'blogging about things that affect me altogether or that I think I should just keep all of my business to myself, but once I started intentionally building relationships with other people in my life and opening up to them, I stopped looking to the act of 'blogging in itself to fix or change things.

2. Keep It Moving

There are a number of posts in my 'blog that are (because of all the whiney narcissism) boring.  When I read back over them and identify with where I was when I wrote them and what I was going through, I see myself like someone sitting on the curb, complaining about being behind and how hard running is rather than discussing what kind of diet is best before a marathon and how to deal with leg soreness.  I think I have a few good ideas here and there or some funny thoughts or phrases, but even those tend to get lost in the deluge of self-pity.  It seems like the times when I 'blog best are when I've been busy taking steps toward making progress in my life and the times when I 'blog worst are when I'm just throwing up my hands and being mad that things aren't already different on their own.

3. Stay On the Bike, Fatty!

I feel like this needs no explanation.

4. Remain Calm and Keep Your Hands Where I Can See Them

I don't know how it is for normal people, but sometimes I feel like "Trouble" is the name of a bird dog and I'm wearing snazzy, new pheasant-pants.  Honestly, I don't even know why I bother worrying about what life is like for other people because it wouldn't make any tangible difference to mine even if I knew.  My point, though, is that I feel like there's always an reason for me to feel frustrated or discouraged, which means there's always a temptation for me to use how I feel as an excuse to do something stupid, and I can see how that attitude comes across in some of my posts.  I think most of the bad decisions I've made over the last year could have been avoided if I'd just kept my wits about me, stepped back from the situation a little, and asked myself if I was really thinking things through.

5. Plan Your Work and Work Your Plan

Followthrough is tough for me and I can count on one hand the number of things I said I was going to do in my 'blog that I actually ended up doing.  I tend to get really amped up about the "Next Big Thing" and bring a lot of energy and excitement to the table, but I also tend to lose steam pretty quickly when I meet with resistence.  Part of me feels like I need to be rewarded for my enthusiasm by having everything work out like it's supposed to and I get really frustrated and disappointed when it doesn't.  But I've also noticed that my enthusiasm tends to hold up a lot better whenever I have structure and support in my life and I don't feel like I have to maintain this super-human energy level all the time for things to be successful.  When I get enough sleep at night and have a budget worked out and spend time with people who can support and encourage my ideas, I tend to do better than when I try to take on the world all by myself.

I guess the lesson is that it's good to recognize where you've been so that you can figure out where you're going.  Part of "self-actualization" is not just making the present seem meaningful, but redeeming your past, too, so that it contributes to where you are. 

I dunno.  Does that seem crazy?  Am I the only one who thinks like this?

1 comment:

  1. Just remember what makes you the force to be reckoned with is the fact that you do take the time to think "things" through. Rethinking them through shows the qaulity of change. Finally, whether you change your stance, or your mind, or nothing at all you achieve wisdom. Most times a wise man is happier than one whom is just smart.

    At least that is what my wisdom tells me...

    Dwight

    ReplyDelete